21 March 2011

prepare yourselves. . .

. . .for some cupcake madness. It is March after all. The NCAA has basketball, why shouldn't I have cupcakes? A friend put me onto this website: Ming Makes Cupcakes and I may or may not have gotten slightly obsessed with it.

*Note: these are not all recipes that I am making so they fit with my roommates dietary needs. This is something I am doing more for the fun of baking than for experimenting with changing recipes, although I am still doing that. My roommate also happens to be gone right now, so I am baking to give away.

The first recipe I tried was the Coconut Rum Cupcakes with Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting. Here is my recipe with changes to the original. I actually also decided to use a different frosting because I already had mascarpone so I decided to try her recipe for mascarpone frosting instead.

Cupcakes
2 cups flour (I did use unbleached all purpose)
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup brown sugar (I used dark brown)
1 stick butter
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup coconut rum

For the cupcakes, start by combining the dry ingredients in a bowl. I added cinnamon to the mix because I love cinnamon. The end. In another bowl cream together the butter and sugar.


Add the egg and mix well.


Then alternately add the dry ingredients and the buttermilk.



This was the point where I realized that the recipe did not call for chocolate. WHAT?! Cocoa powder was immediately added to the dry ingredients. Who makes a coconut rum cupcake without chocolate? Seriously.


Then add in the coconut rum. Now, I don't like to advertise for companies, but this is my favorite brand of rum. Cruzan is made in the US Virgin Islands on the island of St. Croix, and I have been there. I may be slightly biased, but this is good rum. Use whatever kind you want; I just like this kind.


When you finish mixing it up, this is what it should look like. Deliciousness!


Fill cupcake wrappers about 2/3 full. I was taught by my mum that whenever you had a cupcake pan that wasn't completely full you should fill the other cups with a little bit of water, so that's what I do. I cannot explain or justify it to you, that's just what I do.


Look at those little beauties!! All ready for frosting and garnish.


Frosting
8 oz. mascarpone
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup confectioner's sugar

For the frosting, combine all the ingredients and beat until smooth. I used triamisu mascarpone, so it had a slight coffee flavor to it.


The frosting makes this cupcake. I tried one without frosting and one with frosting. The frosting makes the cupcake. Trust me. And let me just tell you, this frosting is to die for. . .I may or may not have cleaned the bowl out with my fingers. Yum!



Let's talk about garnishing for just a moment. Garnishing is what makes a cupcake. It's the little flourish on the top that says: I'm delicious. . .eat me! It makes a cupcake look professional as well. I took these in for my small group and others at my favorite coffeeshop, and everyone kept asking if I made them. Yes, I did, but they look professional, no? Garnish away! And stay tuned for more cupcake madness.

No comments: