24 March 2011

chocolate + coffee = heaven

I love coffee. I love chocolate. And when you put the two together. . .ummm. . .yeah, heaven on earth. Once more from Ming Makes Cupcakes. Here's my version:

Chocolate Coffee Cupcakes
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 cup buttermilk
3 heaping Tbsp. cocoa powder
1 stick butter
1 tsp. cinnamon (approximately)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup flour (I used unbleached all-purpose)
1/4 tsp. salt
3 Tbsp. applesauce
1/2 tsp. Irish Cream liqueur


Start by combining the buttermilk and baking soda. It's best if the buttermilk is room temperature, but will work if it is cooler.


In a saucepan over low heat melt butter with cocoa powder and cinnamon (I may have added a dash of nutmeg here as well, but I don't remember), stir until smooth. Then add coffee.


In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt and sugar.


Add the applesauce.


Then add the chocolate coffee mixture and mix well.


Add the buttermilk and baking soda mixture (at this point it should be a little foamy) as well as the Irish Cream. Mix well.


Bake at 350* for 20 minutes.


Let cool and frost with Irish Cream frosting.

Irish Cream Frosting
1 stick butter, softened
4 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup Irish Cream liqueur
1 Tbsp. milk (I used almond milk)
2 Tbsp. coffee



Combine all ingredients and mix until smooth.


Frost cupcakes and garnish. I used dark chocolate chunks and some coffee grounds, although you could sprinkle them with cinnamon instead of coffee grounds. Enjoy!

*Side note: For my coffee, I used a french press because I like dark, rich coffee, but I'm sure that a regular coffeepot coffee would be just fine as well.

No comments: