10 March 2011

coconut pudding

I have a small confession. . .I adore coconut. . .okay, maybe I'm mildly obsessed with coconut. I have been searching for a coconut pudding recipe for a while. I tried to make one using rice, but it didn't turn out well at all, so then I tried approach number two. I decided to alter a chocolate pudding recipe instead of finding a coconut pudding one. My only real concern with making pudding was the thickening agent. Cornstarch is out because my roommate is allergic to corn. I decided to try using rice flour instead of cornstarch. Rice is a thickening agent as well as flour, so I figured it would work well. I altered a recipe from allrecipes.com.

In a medium saucepan stir together:
1/2 c. coconut sugar
1/4 c. white rice flour
a pinch of salt


Add 2 3/4 c. milk of choice (I used about 1 3/4 c. coconut milk and 1 c. almond milk).



Stir over medium heat until it thickens so that it coats a spoon. Then stir in toasted coconut flakes (I think I used about a cup or 1 1/2 cups). I also added a dash of cinnamon (because let's be honest here. . .I'm mildly obsessed with cinnamon as well).


The result was delicious!! Coconut pudding success after a coconut pudding failure. It doesn't get much sweeter than that.

No comments: