23 March 2011

blueberry instead of mango

After the failure of the mango cupcakes, I still had time to try some other ones, so since I had blueberries, I decided to try making blueberry cupcakes instead. I find that it is always good to follow failure up with success as quickly as possible. These were lovely. I had an idea that they would be something like blueberry pancakes in cupcake form. Once more from Ming Makes Cupcakes. My adjusted recipe:

Blueberry Cupcakes

1 1/2 cups flour (I used unbleached all-purpose for this one)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 stick butter, melted
3 Tbsp. applesauce
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup milk (I used almond milk)
1 cup blueberries (I guessed, so I may have been a bit over or under)


Combine dry ingredients. I believe I added some cinnamon, and possibly a sprinkle of nutmeg.


In a separate bowl combine applesauce with melted butter.


Add buttermilk and almond milk to the butter mixture and combine.


Pour into dry ingredients and combine.


Now this is important to maintain the integrity of the blueberries. Toss the blueberries in about a Tablespoon or so of flour before adding them to the batter.


Fold the blueberries in gently. You don't want to bruise them or damage them. Blueberries are very sensitive creatures. . .in case you didn't know.

Bake at 350* for 20 minutes.


Brown Butter Frosting with Honey
1 stick butter
1 tsp. (ish, I didn't really measure, just sprinkled) cinnamon
1/4 cup milk
3 Tbsp. honey (once again, didn't measure, just poured)



Melt the butter in a skillet with cinnamon and cook until browned.


Pour in a bowl and add the other ingredients and mix until smooth. This frosting is another one that I just fell in love with (but I do love butter a lot!!). I'm incredibly sorry that I don't have pictures of the finished product. I was in a bit of a hurry and forgot to take one later.

After icing the cupcakes, I topped them with blueberries. Remember what we talked about garnishing cupcakes. . .it makes the entire experience so much better.

Oh, remember what I said about thinking these would be like blueberry pancakes. . .one bite confirmed my thought. They were deliciously like blueberry pancakes. Yummy!!

No comments: