31 March 2011

my own creation

So last year on labor day, my roommate and I decided to grill and have a nice summer meal to celebrate. One of the items on the list was potato salad. However, the grocery was out of regular potatoes (apparently everyone else had the same idea. . .what were they thinking?!). To make a long story short, this delightfulness was born out of that situation: sweet potato salad. And I'm going to let you in on how I make it. Lucky you!


Start with a diced up onion. You can dice it as fine or as coarse as you want. And add as much or as little as you want. I think I used about half an onion and diced it fairly fine. You also want to add 2-3 cooked, diced sweet potatoes depending on the size of the sweet potatoes and the number of people you want to serve. I used two here. I boiled them, then removed the skin and diced them up.


Add to that two hard-boiled eggs that you have diced up.


Add some raisins.


And some chopped up pecans.


Add mustard, mayo, and season with curry powder, cinnamon, turmeric, and a touch of nutmeg. I suggest stirring it all up and then tasting it to see if it needs more mayo or mustard or seasoning. And there you have it. Simple, easy, delicious. I will never make regular potato salad again.

No comments: