14 March 2011

chili for chilly weather

The weather hasn't been very spring like the last couple of days, so today I made chili. Yum! This is how I make chili. . .

Start with about half an onion diced up and a clove of garlic and some olive oil in a pan. This time I added some celery and mushrooms because I had some on hand. You can also add Worcestershire sauce if you want (I happen to be out right now so I didn't).


Add seasonings. I like to season twice. Once when the base ingredients are cooking and once when all the ingredients are in the pan. I feel like it gives the dish a nice depth of flavor (but that could just be me, feel free to season however you want to).


Then add a pound of ground beef. You can also use deer or elk meat here for a slightly different flavor. The benefit of wild game meat is that it generally is much leaner than beef, but then again, we have lean beef, so it's whatever you like.


While the beef is browning, place three tomatoes in a pan of water on high. I use roma tomatoes because I like the flavor and the low acidity of them. This is just to blanch the tomatoes so that you can remove the skins easily. You don't want to overcook them or they will turn to mush.


Once the skins on the tomatoes have split, remove them from the heat and bathing them in cool water remove the skins. Chop them up and add to the meat mixture.


Then add one can each, tomato sauce, black beans and red beans. Give it a good stir.


Add the second set of seasonings, and check the flavor. I usually add a little more chili powder and cayenne pepper because I like a little spice. Depending on how spicy you want your chili you can add more or less of both these spices.


And there you have it. I like to let it sit and simmer for a little while so all the flavors mingle nicely, but this is also a great leftovers dish because the more it sits, the better the flavor gets (until it goes bad, then it's just no good).

No comments: