30 March 2011

the healthiest cupcake you will ever eat

Okay, please don't let the healthy part of this drive you away. Cupcakes can be both nutritious and delicious. These are simply healthy because of the substitutes and additions that I made. I was also making these so the roommate could have some. She's back from vacation, so I get to cook for her again instead of filling that void by cooking for other people. (Don't worry, other people, you will still get treats too.) This recipe is adapted from Ming Makes Cupcakes.

Carrot Cupcakes
1 cup flour (I used unbleached all-purpose)
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
6 Tbsp. applesauce (just an fyi, I use unsweetened in everything)
1/2 cup sugar (I used dark brown)
1/2 cup canola oil
crushed pineapple
2 cups grated carrots
flake coconut


Start with your grated carrots.


Add dry ingredients. Hmmm. . .at this point I may have also added a bit of nutmeg and ground ginger, but I like adding spices. You may do what you like.


Add applesauce.


Add sugar and coconut. (Okay, I admit it, I randomly thought that this would be good with coconut in it, perhaps because I love coconut, and so I randomly added some. Feel free to leave it out if you aren't as obsessed with it as I am.)


Give it a good mixing up.


Fill cupcake papers and bake at 325* for 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. My oven runs a little warm, so I think mine were done in about 30, but I could just be making that up.


Ready to be iced and garnished.

Cream Cheese Icing
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 stick butter, softened
1 cup confectioner's sugar

Mix all ingredients together and spread on cupcakes.



I garnished with sliced almonds and a sprinkle of cinnamon.

No comments: