03 April 2011

pumpkin cupcakes

*Personal Note: H, I know you are freaking out because there is pumpkin in these cupcakes. Yes, they are delicious and you should try them.

I was in the mood for something reminiscent of pumpkin pie and pumpkin scones (which I will be posting a recipe for sometime soon, hopefully), and these cupcakes seemed just the thing. I love cooking with pumpkin because it keeps a lot of moisture in the food, and while it has a distinctive taste it isn't overpowering. Pumpkin also pairs well with some of my favorite spices. Here's my adapted recipe from Ming Makes Cupcakes:

Pumpkin Cupcakes
1 cup flour (I used 1/2 coconut and 1/2 oat)
2 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
pinch nutmeg
pinch ginger
pinch cloves
1 cup sugar (I used coconut sugar)
6 Tbsp. unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup oil (I used canola)
1 cup pumpkin


In a bowl combine dry ingredients.


In a separate bowl combine the sugar and applesauce. Then add the oil and beat until well combined.


Next add the flour mixture.


Then add the pumpkin and mix well.


Bake at 350* for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. I think I baked mine for about 25 minutes because my oven runs a little warm.



Cream Cheese Icing
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 stick butter, softened
1 cup confectioner's sugar

Mix until well combined.


I garnished with slices of crystallized ginger. And then I became addicted to crystallized ginger.


This makes a lovely late night snack with a cuppa tea. :)

1 comment:

Anna Rae said...

Oh my, I saw your previous post about sour cream blackberry cupcakes from mingmakes, and immediately had to have a cupcake! However, i have a pantry full of pumpkin, so that is what I made. I am actually blogging about it as we speak (er, type?)! you are an inspiration, and i love you.