17 April 2011

coconut cake


I saw this recipe for coconut cake in a cookbook I received as a Christmas present this last Christmas, and I have been wanting to make it since then. As it has eggs in it, I figured my sister's bridal shower was the perfect opportunity for me to try this recipe.

Coconut Cake
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar (I used 1 cup dark brown sugar and 1 cup coconut sugar)
4 large eggs
2 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 cup milk (I used coconut milk)
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup toasted coconut

In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Add the eggs one at a time beating well after each addition. Add in the vanilla. In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the flour mixture and the milk alternately to the butter mixture. Stir in the toasted coconut and pour the batter into 3 greased 9 inch cake pans.* Bake at 350* for 18-20 minutes. I started with 15 minutes and then added another 3, but mine came out a little dry, so they may have been slightly over cooked.

Buttercream Frosting
1 cup butter, softened
4 cups confectioner's sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1-2 Tbsp. milk (I used almond milk, but alternately you could use coconut milk)
1 tsp. coconut rum

Combine the butter and sugar and then add the vanilla, milk and rum. Beat until smooth and the consistency to frost the cake. To frost: Place the bottom layer on the cake plate, brush with coconut milk and a layer of frosting. Continue with the layers in the same way and top with toasted coconut.

As I said above, this turned out a little drier than I really wanted it to be, but that may have been due to being a little overcooked. I also would like to try this with just two layers instead of three because I think the layers were a little thin which could also have caused it to be a little drier. All together, though, I liked this cake fairly well and with a little tweaking I think it could be really fantastic, but then I do have a slight obsession with coconut.

*Note: I have trouble getting my cakes to come out of the cake pans easily, so I cut a paper towel the size of the bottom of the pan and place that in the bottom and then spray the pan with cooking spray. The cake comes out easily, and then the paper towel just peels off the bottom.

1 comment:

Hannah Elizabeth said...

please direguard the fact that I've been commenting with the wrong e-mail.

also...THAT LOOKS SO GOOD! I call that for my half birthday or something.