15 April 2011

muffins for a friend

Okay, first I just have to tell you. . .this lovely guy and I are celebrating 1 year of being in each others lives. He was my birthday present from mis padres last year, and I decided he was a he because he does the heavy lifting in our relationship. I have this thing about personifying inanimate objects, so yes, I am acting like my mixer is a person. I do have to confess, though, that while it has been a year, I have yet to name him. So if anyone has some good name suggestions, I would love to hear them. Alright, moving on. . .


A dear friend of mine had a houseful of guests last weekend, and as she is always busy and stretched out over so many things and also because she does not enjoy baking, she asked if I would make her some muffins to share with her guests. I was delighted to be able to help her out, especially since she had a new muffin recipe that she wanted me to try. I adapted the recipe that she gave me which was torn out of a magazine.

Monster Muffins
2 cups whole grain flour (I believe I used a combination of whole wheat and oat flour)
1 cup oat bran
1 cup pecans, chopped
1 cup raisins (approximately)
1 cup raw sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
1 1/2 Tbsp. cinnamon (I used up all of my cinnamon on this)
a dash cloves
some fresh ground nutmeg
1 cup almond milk
2 eggs
3 Tbsp. applesauce
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup canned pumpkin
2 cups shredded carrots
3 Granny Smith apples, peeled and shredded
some shredded coconut


In a large mixing bowl, mix the flour, oat bran, pecans, raisins, raw sugar, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, almond milk, applesauce, eggs and vanilla. Mix until just blended. Stir in the pumpkin, shredded carrots, apples and coconut. Mix thoroughly. Bake at 350* for 20-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool and enjoy.



A muffin fresh from the oven with a bit of butter. . .so wonderfully delightful!! My batch easily made 24 muffins.

No comments: