04 April 2011

i'm part british

Yes, it's true. I am part British. I have known this for a long time in my person, but it was recently confirmed by a family member doing some research on our ancestry. How did I know that I'm part British? Well, I love all things British. Including shortbread. Yep, buttery, delicious goodness. Shortbread is simple and with only a few ingredients it is easy to make and easy to make so that my roomie can have it too. I have been craving shortbread for a while, so I decided to give it a try. I adapted my recipe from here.

Shortbread
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 cup oat four
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup white rice flour
1 cup butter, softened
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
sprinkle of cinnamon and nutmeg
1/3 cup toasted sliced almonds


Combine the flours in a bowl and set aside.


In a separate bowl cream together the butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, coconut sugar, vanilla, and salt.


At this point, I placed my sliced almonds in a 350* oven to toast for about 8 minutes, stirring at the 5 minute mark.


Then once the almonds have cooled a bit, stir them into the creamed butter mixture. Then add the flour and stir just until it is all combined. You don't want to over mix this or the shortbread will become tough not light and flaky like it's supposed to be.


Once it is all mixed up, wrap it in waxed paper and place in the fridge for an hour or so (or you can put it in the freezer if you are impatient like me). When you take it out, roll it out until it's about 1/4 inch thick and cut out cookies using a cookie cutter.


Bake at 350* for about 12 minutes, turning the pans at the 8 minute mark. I had mine in for about 13 minutes and they almost burnt, so be careful!!




And there you have it. . .the perfect snack to have with your afternoon tea. Lovely!! Now if I were just back in London. . .

No comments: