03 April 2011

chocolate sour cream cupcakes

I am planning a bridal shower for my sister which is about two weeks away (eekkkk!!), and I decided that I wanted to serve several things for food, so of course I am going to have cupcakes. I wanted to do some chocolate ones (because let's be honest, what's a bridal shower without chocolate?), however, I didn't really like any of the combinations that were on Ming Makes Cupcakes, so I decided to make my own combo. I wanted to try the chocolate sour cream cupcakes, but I didn't like the frosting that she put on top, so here is my version.

Chocolate Sour Cream Cupcakes
1 cup flour (I used unbleached all purpose)
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
dash nutmeg
1 stick butter, softened
1/2 cup sour cream
3 Tbsp. unsweetened applesauce



Combine the dry ingredients.


Add butter, applesauce and sour cream.


Bake at 350* for 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. I think mine baked for 25 minutes. I think I also added a little heavy whipping cream to these because I was a little short on sour cream. Okay, now here comes my twist on these cupcakes. Ming Makes Cupcakes frosts these cupcakes with a nutella frosting, and while I love nutella, I just wanted to go in a different direction.

Chocolate Cinnamon Mascarpone Frosting
8 oz. mascarpone
1/4 - 1/3 cup cocoa
1 - 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup confectioner's sugar


Combine all ingredients and beat until it thickens.


Okay, just to show you what a big deal garnishing your cupcakes is, I decided to take a before garnish and after garnish picture.


See garnishing makes all the difference between a regular cupcake and a fabulous cupcake. These are garnished with chocolate chunks and a dusting of cinnamon.

No comments: