06 April 2011

chicken curry

Thai food holds a very special place in my heart. I love Thai food. I am blessed to have a good Thai restaurant (or a couple) in my town. However, I have never made Thai food at home. Today I did, and it was delightful!! My friend, A, came over to cook lunch with me today. When I asked what she wanted to eat, she replied something with chicken. Since I have been craving curry lately, I decided to try my hand at some chicken curry.

I used this recipe as inspiration and then proceeded to do exactly what I pleased. I started with 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts and cut them into nice sized chunks, not too big, not too small, just nice. Then I cooked them in a skillet with some olive oil, minced garlic, diced onion, and a bit of fresh ginger as well as garlic salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, pepper, turmeric, curry powder, thyme, and a touch of cayenne. Once again, do what you like with your seasonings. Get a little crazy with it. Once the chicken was cooked through, I removed it to a plate and poured some chicken broth into the skillet along with a little more olive oil. While I cooked the chicken, A was graciously cutting up the veggies for me.

We added a red bell pepper, a yellow squash, a zucchini squash, some onion, and a carrot. We let this cook for a little while and then added a mango and some fresh pineapple as well as a can of coconut milk to the mix. Then came a second round of seasonings. Lastly we threw in some fresh cilantro because I had some on hand. Check the flavor of the sauce and adjust seasonings as desired. I think I would add some more curry and a touch more spice to this.


Serve with rice. I picked up some sweet black Thai rice the other day at MJ's and was eager to try it. It adds a nice color variation and has good flavor. I did cook it kind of fast (because I forgot to put it on before we started the curry), so it was a little crunchy, but all around good.


We had a delightful lunch at the table in the backyard. Thanks A for coming over and having lunch. I loved having you to cook with!!

2 comments:

c3 said...

I wanted a good curry recipe and I knew your blog would have a great one! I can't wait to try this out! I love you and miss you so much!!!

meli said...

I miss you too friend!!! I hope your curry turns out well! :)