31 October 2012

real lemon bars

Remember when I was telling you way back when that I was craving a really good, tart lemon bar? Well, I decided to make up my own recipe because all the ones I came across were just to much sugar and not enough lemon for me. So here is my real lemon bar recipe.

Real Lemon Bars
Crust: 
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
Optional: lavender and lemon zest
 Topping:
3/4 cup sugar
3 eggs
1/2 cup lemon juice
2 Tbsp flour
juice and zest of 2 lemons (part of the zest could be in the crust)

Preheat oven to 350*F. Cream together butter and sugar.


Add 1 cup flour and lavender/lemon zest if using them. Add second cup flour.


Press into a lightly greased 9x13 pan.


Bake at 350* for about 14 minutes or until light golden brown.


While the crust is baking, mix together all the ingredients for the topping.


Look at that beautiful crust!


Pour the topping over the crust and bake at 350* for about 15 minutes. Watch it carefully because the topping will burn very easily. If it looks a little runny that is okay as they will set more as they cool.


Enjoy your tart slice of lemon-y goodness!


No comments: