29 October 2012

tatzaki

I have a special love for Greek things. I'm not sure where exactly this love came from because my family is not Greek. I have never been to Greece (although it is on my list of top places I would like to go next). I think it is because my name is Greek in origin, and I love my name. I don't remember the first time I had tatzaki sauce, but I feel in love with it. It has a slightly tangy flavor along with the freshness of cucumber. I always think it is perfect for summer, but I will eat it any time of the year. I serve this sauce with Greek food as well as with Chicken Tikka Masala which is an Indian dish, but I like the way the flavors combine. You could also serve this with pita bread as an appetizer or dip at a gathering.


Tatzaki
1/2 cucumber, chopped into small cubes
1/4 small onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, finely diced
 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
2 cups plain yogurt (I use greek yogurt)
salt and pepper to taste
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/4 tsp paprika, to garnish

Combine all the ingredients and garnish with the paprika. Cover and allow to chill for at least an hour, but honestly the longer you let it sit the better the flavors will mingle and combine and be delicious. 

No comments: