25 October 2012

salted caramel chocolate cupcakes

I found this recipe on pinterest. Yes, I do have a pinterest, and yes, I do actually make recipes that I find on there. I love these cupcakes because they are just heavenly. Salted caramel, chocolate and did I mention salted caramel. Yum!

Salted Caramel Chocolate Cupcakes
1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 eggs (you could easily substitute applesauce here)
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup sour cream
2/3 cup boiling water

Preheat oven to 350*F. Begin by creaming together the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.


Mix in the eggs, one at a time and then the vanilla, beating well.


In a separate bowl combine the flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda. Add this mixture alternately with the sour cream, mixing on low until just combined. Mix in the water.


Pour batter into cupcake liners* and bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes.


Allow the cupcakes to cool while you make the salted caramel filling. This is the salted caramel recipe that I use, although you will find a different one on the original cupcake recipe.

Then cut little divets in the top of the cupcakes using a small, sharp knife. Pour the salted caramel sauce into this divets.


Top with salted caramel cream cheese frosting.

Salted Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting
1 8-oz. package cream cheese, softened
1/2 stick butter, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
salted caramel sauce to taste

Beat cream cheese until smooth. Beat in butter until smooth. Add in powdered sugar and vanilla and beat until smooth. Beat in salted caramel.


These cupcakes are so delicious. I'm serious. My mouth is watering right now as I am thinking about them, and I'm thinking it has been too long since I last made them. Please make and love! :)

*A helpful hint that my sister shared to help with pouring cupcakes is to use an  ice cream scoop. It is super easy and all of your cupcakes come out very uniform.

No comments: