30 January 2012

Tuscan Bean Soup

I saw this recipe on the Pioneer Woman's blog when I was on my cleanse, and I decide to adapt it to fit with what I was eating, so here is my version of her soup. I will have to try it the way she makes it now that I am no longer on my cleanse. Here is the link to her version: Tuscan Bean Soup with Shrimp.

Start with some coconut oil in a pan on medium heat. Add in one medium sized onion, diced, and about 5 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced. Let this cook for a little bit.


Then add in a small can of tomato paste and stir around. Also add in some cayenne pepper, chili powder, dried basil, and dried oregano (which I did not have on hand sadly). Allow this to cook for a little bit.


Add in 6 3/4 cups water (or vegetable broth whichever you prefer), 1 large can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes, and 3 cans Great Northern Beans. Simmer, stirring occasionally.


Add in an entire bunch of kale that you have washed and torn up. Yes, it looks intimidating, but it will shrink as it cooks.


Then add in a bunch of fresh basil that you have also torn up.


Allow to cook so the flavors can combine. This soup is excellent reheat as leftovers because it gives the flavors more time to mingle and get to know each other and achieve a perfect balance.



Absolutely delicious and a nice, hearty winter soup.

No comments: