28 January 2012

Quick Fixes


I am big on quick, easy to throw together meals because let's face it, life is crazy. As much as I would love to spend all day in the kitchen making meals that require my time and attention for multiple hours, I just don't have that luxury at this time in my life. Therefore, I like making meals that I can make in a short time that are still delicious and healthy and homemade.

Chicken is such an easy to make and versatile food to make. (Confession: I'm pretty sure I made this last summer and I'm just getting around to blogging about it. . .oops!) I love to use the grill (when it's summer), so I grilled this chicken breast, and added a pasta and white sauce on the side.

To make white sauce (not from a can. . .have you ever actually read the ingredients on a sauce can?) start with a couple of tablespoons of butter (or olive oil or other type of oil depending on the flavor you want) in a saucepan. Allow this to melt, and then add a couple of tablespoons of flour. I prefer to use unbleached all purpose flour for something like this, but you can use whatever you feel like. Stir this. It will be sticky. Add in half and half (or milk or almond milk) and continue stirring. You do not want this to boil or it will be scalded. Keep stirring until the sauce thickens. If you want it to be thicker add a little more flour, but be careful that it doesn't clump. Add in whatever seasonings you like. I like to add basil and Italian seasonings to mine, but it's your preference. Herbs of Provence are also good in white sauce (this is a premixed seasoning that you can fine at most grocery stores or international food stores).

White sauce makes a great base to which you can add many things. I usually add in green peas, carrots, and asparagus which I have cooked until soft along with pasta. For the final product, mix together cooked pasta and veggies with white sauce and toss until coated. You could also cut up the chicken and toss it with this, or you can leave it on the side like I did here.

And there you have it! Delicious, nutritious, and easy! Enjoy!

No comments: