31 January 2012

An American Classic

Apple pie is classic Americana. It says 4th of July and summertime and picnics. It says family and home and country. And I love making pie, even having a job where I made pie every day for 6 months did not take away my love of baking pie.

In my humble opinion it is the crust that makes the pie. Crust should be flaky and crispy and melt in your mouth. If the crust isn't good, the pie won't be any good. I am torn as to whether I should let you in on my crust recipe. . .not right now. . .maybe later. I will tell you my secret ingredient. I replace a little water with chilled vodka. Here is my apple pie recipe.

Apple Pie
5-6 apples
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
Sprinkle cinnamon
Sprinkle nutmeg
2 Tbsp. flour
2 pie crusts


Preheat oven to 350*F. Peel, core and slice apples. Toss in the brown sugar, flour, and spices until evenly coated. Fill the bottom pie shell and top with 2-3 Tbsp. butter cut into pieces. Top with top crust. I chose to do a woven top crust on this pie. Sprinkle the top of the pie with some cinnamon and bake on a cookie sheet for 40ish minutes. I bake it on a cookie sheet in case it overflows the pie pan. I would rather clean a cookie sheet than clean an oven.


I have used several types of apples, but right now I am stuck on granny smith's because I like the tartness that off sets the sweetness of the brown sugar. I also go back and forth on what to use to sweeten my apple pie. I said brown sugar here because I probably use it the most, but I also really like to use honey. This will make for a slightly more runny pie, though, because there is more liquid.

No comments: