03 February 2012

Sugar Cookies

I have been living with an extreme dislike of making sugar cookies. Without going into any detail, sugar cookies were the cause of me ultimately quitting my last job. It has been almost a year since I have made sugar cookies because of that. There was honestly a part of me that believed I would never make sugar cookies again in my life because of my bad experience with them. The fact that I made sugar cookies and that I am blogging about them is an expression of my healing process.

These sugar cookies I have nothing but good memories to associate with them. When I was in college my aunt sent me a box of sugar cookies every year on Valentine's Day. Can I just tell you what a blessing that was, for me a single girl to receive a package on Valentine's Day? It was a big deal to me. So Aunt Lynda, if you are reading this, know that your cookies ministered greatly to my heart and still continue to! Thank you!

A while back my mom asked if I had my aunt's recipe for sugar cookies and told me that it was in our family cookbook (yes, we have a family cookbook, be jealous). The other day, I had a hankering to make her sugar cookies, so here they are.

Sugar Cookies
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1 egg
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. almond extract
1/4 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 350*F. Cream together butter and powdered sugar.


Add egg and flavorings (I only used vanilla because I didn't have any almond on hand).


Add in flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt and mix well.


At this point you can chill the dough if you desire to roll it out and cut out cookies, or if you still haven't quite recovered your love of making sugar cookies to that point, you can just drop spoonfuls of cookie dough onto cookie sheets and bake for 8-10 minutes. I baked mine for 4 minutes and then rotated my cookie sheets and baked another 3-4 minutes.


As I bit into one of these little babies, I was already thinking of variations I could make on these, so expect some more sugar cookie goodness to be headed your way soon!

No comments: