02 February 2012

Getting Creative

You know I believe in celebrating people's birthdays. Well, I try to make them what they like best, so I ask for guidelines. This leads to all kinds of responses, and can lead me on new adventures in cooking. There is always a little part of me that gets nervous when I decide to get creative in the kitchen because I'm a little afraid of failing. But that's one of the things I love most about being in the kitchen. No matter what kind of day I have had, I know that when I step into my kitchen and put together the right ingredients, I will get a delicious result.

All of that to say I asked a co-worker what he wanted for his birthday treat, and he told me cheesecake with jello. I had never heard of such a thing before, so I came home and googled jello cheesecake, and after browsing through what seemed a hundred recipes, I decided to combine several of them to get what I made.

It starts with a chocolate cookie crust, topped with a chocolate cheesecake layer, topped with fresh raspberries over which there is raspberry jello. So let's just call it:

Chocolate Raspberry Jello Cheesecake

Start by melting 4 oz. dark chocolate (at least 60% dark, I would probably go all the way to 70 or 75% if possible, but I like my chocolate dark). Remember when melting chocolate to stir it frequently so it doesn't burn the chocolate.


Then crush up some chocolate sandwich cookies (I used Oreos). Combine with a little melted butter and press into a pie plate.


Bake in a 350*F oven for 7ish minutes to help it to set. If possible I would then put this in the freezer to help it set further. I did not actually get to do that with this one, but I would do it next time.


In a bowl combine about 3/4 cup brown sugar, 1 tsp vanilla, some cinnamon, and about 2 Tbsp. milk (I used heavy whipping cream instead of milk and it made the cheesecake layer much thicker than I had expected), and 8 oz. cream cheese that has been softened. Beat until well combined.


Add in the chocolate and beat again until well combined.


Layer this on top of the cookie crust. At this point I would put this back into the freezer to set for a while, but I didn't do that the first time around. Top with fresh raspberries, and pour over that raspberry jello (a 3 oz. package made according to the directions). Allow to sit in the fridge overnight to set.


The only problem I really encountered that I wasn't expecting was that when I poured the jello over the top the crust kind of fell apart that's why I would suggest chilling it in the freezer after putting in the cheesecake layer, but it ended up just fine. Serve this topped with whipped cream.

No comments: