06 September 2011

and over three months later. . .

. . .here you go!! Julia Child's Boeuf Bourguignon* with my own little twist. I'm going to be honest with you it was a while ago when I made this so I don't exactly remember everything I put in but I did try to follow along her recipe as closely as possible. Also I just want to state that the beautiful pot you see in the pictures was a birthday present from my parents a couple years ago. My dad brought it back from Mexico for me. How sweet is that!?!?


Preheat your oven to 450 degrees. In an oven proof pan saute stew meat in olive oil. I used about 1 - 2 pounds. Julia's recipe calls for 3 lbs. but I was just cooking for two, so I decreased the amount a little.


When the beef is slightly browned on all sides, sprinkle it with salt and pepper and whatever other seasonings you like. (I think I added some cinnamon and maybe some chili powder. This is one recipe, though, that I would be careful not to over season.) Then sprinkle in about 2 Tbsp. flour and toss lightly to coat. Put it in the preheated oven for about 4 minutes and toss it again and return to the oven for about 4 more minutes. Reduce oven heat to 350 degrees.


Next you are going to add a small onion that has been sliced and a sliced carrot as well. I may have used two carrots, but I can't remember exactly. I guess it depends on how well you like carrots how many you should use.


Return to the stove top and add 1 Tbsp. tomato paste, 2 cloves mashed garlic, 1/2 tsp. thyme and a crumbled bay leaf.


Next stir in about 3 cups of red wine, such as Chianti and enough beef stock to cover the ingredients. Bring to a simmer on the stove top.


Then cover the casserole dish and return to the oven. Allow to cook for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. I let it cook for about 45 minutes to an hour and then stir it and then repeat the process until it is done. The beef should be very tender when it is done.


Remove the casserole from the oven and either cool the stew and refrigerate for later use or if serving immediately prepare as follows. Quarter about a pound of button mushrooms and saute them in butter.


Add to the stew and stir to coat.


Then serve with boiled potatoes and buttered green peas and of course a glass of red wine. Enjoy!!



*Recipe adapted from Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child, Louisette Bertholle, and Simone Beck.

No comments: