26 February 2011

Coconut Macaroons

Okay, let's walk through how I find a recipe. My roommate says something like: "Hmmm. . .coconut macaroons sound good." I then proceed to search for coconut macaroon recipes that I think would work and sound good. After looking at five or six recipes to get a good general idea of what goes into coconut macaroons, I then settle on a recipe to alter. Like this one from allrecipes.com

1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2-3/4 cups flaked coconut
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Then I begin my alterations.* Coconut flour for all-purpose. Coconut milk for sweetened condensed milk. Add coconut sugar and cinnamon for a little sweetness and spice. And since I am currently out of vanilla, omit the vanilla. And here is the final cast of characters with nothing that my roomie is allergic to.


Mix it all together, and then form into balls and place on a cookie sheet. The shredded coconut that I had on hand was finely shredded coconut, but these would look more macaroon-esque if you had coconut that is less finely shredded.


Bake at 350 for 15 minutes (or more or less depending on your oven). You just want them to be browned aka the coconut to be toasted.



These got the roommate stamp of approval. Things I would change for next time: less finely shredded coconut, add vanilla, and maybe a tiny bit more cinnamon.

*Note: Something you should know about the way I cook. I rarely actually measure anything, so these measurements are approximate. Mix and taste is the way I go.

No comments: