24 February 2011

the beginning. . .yet not. . .

I have been cooking since I was five years old which means we are edging up on almost 20 years since I first began cooking. I have been very comfortable with the things that I have cooked. I am generally confident about what I make in the kitchen--almost 20 years of experience will do that for you. The truth is though, that I have had my fair share of mistakes (some of these anecdotes I will perhaps share with you), but for the most part I have generally been successful in my cooking endeavors.

In the past couple of years I have started to expand my horizons in my cooking. I have been going more natural, trying to find substitutes that are healthier and better for me and those I cook for. I have discovered new types of sweeteners, how to use whole wheat effectively and that I love baking with dark chocolate.

More recently, I have embarked on an even different type of cooking. I have an amazing roommate who has recently discovered that she is allergic to many "normal" foods, so in the interest of helping her to get well I have started on a journey of discovering new ways to cook in order to make good food that she is able to enjoy. This is challenging for me, and for the first time in recent years, I am having to make dishes multiple times in order to get them to a point where I think they are good dishes to serve, dishes that I am proud to serve to my company.

This blog is to catalog my adventures (and misadventures) of this journey and to talk about cooking in general. I am very passionate about good food that is good for you, so I hope you will join me on this journey and enjoy it as well. I hope that if you have ideas you will share them with me or if you have recipes that you would like me to try that you would share that as well. I love a good challenge, so I am looking forward to all that this experience will have to teach me and how I will grow in my abilities as a cook through it.

No comments: